Saturday, February 18, 2012

Red Quinoa Black Bean Salad


So, because of my allergies I am on a strict no-dairy, no-chocolate or cinnamon, gluten-free diet for 2 weeks (boo!) While this sucks, I have made it a challenge to find or create delicious recipes that I can enjoy during these weeks.

Today is a beautiful day in Boston.. almost 50 degrees which is unusual for February. I plan on taking full advantage of the weather and am going on a nice run around the Charles River. Before I do that however, I made a really yummy Quinoa and Black bean salad for my lunch when I come back. Here is the recipe:



Servings: 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup uncooked Red Quinoa (follow directions on your quinoa package for cooking)
  • Juice of 1 Lime
  • 1 minced clove of garlic
  • 2 Tbsp Chopped onion (I am using white today)
  • 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (I tend to use more because I LOVE cilantro)
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed
  • 1 cup sweet corn (optional)
  • 2 tsp Olive Oil
  • Dash of salt, pepper, garlic salt
  • 1/4 tsp Cumin


Directions:

  • Cook Quinoa as directed, let cool completely.
  • Cook sweet corn as directed, let cool completely. ( I did not use corn when making it today)
  • Combine cooled quinoa, corn & rinsed black beans in a bowl.
  • Whisk together lime juice, olive oil and a dash (1/4 tsp or so of salt).
  • Chop/snip cilantro and add to Quinoa mix
  • Add minced garlic & chopped onion to Quinoa mix
  • Pour Lime/Oil mixture over Quinoa mix
  • Add cumin, garlic salt, pepper, dash of salt to taste and mix entire salad with spatula.

There you have it! A protein-packed "salad" that is super delicious and healthy. This is great over spinach/lettuce as a real salad- or, if you're feeling wild then maybe use the quinoa dip as a healthy salsa with some chips :)





No comments:

Post a Comment